Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Tuesday, June 28

The Divine Hours: Prayers for Summertime (pp. 145-147)

To read this morning's office, click here.

Time, they say, heals all wounds. I'm not sure, but it helps. What I am sure of is that time gives us perspective on many events in our life.

Perhaps we didn't get admitted to the school of our choice, or perhaps one of our children didn't get admitted to their school of choice. Perhaps we didn't get the job offer. Perhaps we didn't find the house we always wanted. Perhaps we didn't land the opportunity we desired in our local church. We could go on.

Most of these are resolved with time -- the school we did attend was perfect; the job we are doing is what God wants after all; the house we have is where God placed us; our gifts are used better elsewhere.

Our lives, if seen from God's perspective, are a "puff of wind" or "like the grass" or "like a flower of the field." Since we are here for a brief spell, knowing how God looks upon life gives us perspective and wisdom.

During my postgraduate days and some years as an adjunct professor I wondered if I would ever get a teaching post at some college or seminary. More than twenty years later I reflect on the deep anxiety I felt and wonder how I could have worried so. Time, they say, heals all wounds and minimizes all anxieties. But most of all, the passage of time affords us the opportunity to reflect on life from the perspective of God. He is in control; he can be trusted; he will draw us into himself. God is good.